Wednesday 2 January 2013

New year's resolutions: bullshit

Okay, well known fact, hate talking about seasonal shit. So I'll make this a quick one because I've been getting really pissy about people this week.
Everyone is talking about their new year's resolutions.
I call bullshit on them.
They are basically just things you want to change about yourself - for instance the most common one - lose weight.
These resolutions will never work.
It is very much like when people say they are going to quit smoking (another common one), oh, but not until I've finished this pack of fags. And then they just don't give up. They clearly don't actually want to give up.
It is the same principle with a new year's resolution. If you have to wait until this time ever year before you change something about yourself then you don't want it enough.
If you were serious you would start exercising as soon as you realised you weren't skinny enough at the beginning of the summer. etc etc.
It's a new year, but I think that the only reasonable resolution you can make, if you are feeling that you need to make one, would be:
I resolve that whenever there is something about me that I need to change, I will not wait until I have a landmark or worthy day to begin changing it. I will change then and there; I will begin immediately.
Because really, if you have  to wait for this specific day to change yourself, you really don't want to change very much at all, and it is pointless.

Happy new year.

1 comment:

  1. I quit smoking coz Girlfriend told me to XD

    ReplyDelete